November is considered “Diabetes Awareness Month,” and here at N-Style ID, we’d like to do our part. We sell medical safety alert bracelets for a variety of conditions, including diabetes, so it only makes sense for us to share knowledge on our blog regarding diabetes and how medical alert wristbands can help. This is especially true since it’s Diabetes Awareness Month!
So, in today’s blog, we’ll discuss some facts about diabetes, its prevalence, and its treatment; however, we’ll also focus largely on exactly how diabetic ID bracelets can help keep you or your loved ones with diabetes safe. Here at N-Style ID, we offer medical safety alert bracelets for everyone: women, men, kids, teens, and seniors. Keep reading to learn more about diabetes, and then shop with us today for medical safety alert bracelets you can count on!
Some Facts About Diabetes
Diabetes is a group of diseases (type 1, type 2, gestational, and prediabetes) that result in too much sugar in the blood, also known as high blood glucose. All of the facts presented here about diabetes are gathered from the CDC:
- More than 30 million people in the U.S. have diabetes; about 1 in 4 don’t know they have it.
- More than 84 million adults in the U.S. (which is more than a third) have prediabetes and 90% don’t know they have it.
- Diabetes is currently the seventh leading cause of death in the U.S., and this statistic may be underreported.
- About 90–95% of all diagnosed cases of diabetes are type 2; about 5% are type 1.
- The number of adults with diabetes in the U.S. has more than doubled in the last 20 years.
- Medical costs and lost work/wages for people with diagnosed diabetes total $327 billion annually.
- People with diabetes are twice as likely to have heart disease or a stroke as people without diabetes (and at an earlier age).
- People with diabetes who smoke are more likely to develop serious related health problems, including heart and kidney disease.
How Medical Safety Alert Bracelets Can Help
Diabetic ID bracelets can be instrumental in ensuring you get the best possible care in an emergency situation. Depending on what’s happening, you may not be able to communicate clearly or at all with a first responder during your emergency. While this can be overwhelming to think about, it’s necessary that you come up with a plan if that’s the case. That’s where a medical safety alert bracelet comes into the picture.
In medical emergencies, first responders are trained to look for medical information as soon as they arrive on scene. If you’re wearing a medical safety alert bracelet or necklace, then they’ll find it quickly, know you have diabetes, and be able to treat you to the best of their abilities. Without it, the treatment could look very different and actually negatively affect your health.
What to Note on Your Medical Alert Bracelet
A custom medical bracelet is just that: custom. You can make your diabetic ID bracelet as specific as possible, space permitting of course. Check out our post FAQs About Medical ID Jewelry, Pt. 2 for information about abbreviations and what to engrave on your medical identification bracelet. However, here are the basic things that should always be on a medical alert wristband:
- Emergency contact
- Medical conditions (including diabetes)
- Allergies to medications
- Current medications you take
You can speak to your doctor or another medical professional about what information is important for you to include, but that covers the basics and should keep you safe in emergency situations.
Shop for Diabetic ID Bracelets Today
Medical identification bracelets can make all the difference in emergency situations — just look at our testimonials to see what we mean.
Here at N-Style ID, we’re committed to always providing affordable, stylish, durable, comfortable, and effective medical safety alert bracelets. Whether you’re interested in a diabetic medical alert necklace or a medical alert wristband for something else entirely, we have you covered. There’s no longer a question of where to buy medical alert bracelets … you’ve found N-Style ID and now have all the styles and options you need. Contact us with any questions and start shopping!